Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Sunday, April 27, 2014

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (1884)



The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (1835 to 1910, USA) is a very important work in American literature.  Some say it is The Great American Novel.  For sure anyone into the development of the American novel needs to read this work.  I prior to this  last read it maybe 40 years ago.  I recalled the plot as I read it but that might be from seeing movies based on the book.   

I do not especially like books with a great deal of rural character dialect in which authors try to replicate speech patterns.  This is not a value judgement but I don't like to be slowed down too much.  This book is full of this and I did get tired of it.  It is wonderful to see Huck struggle with the notion that the slave Jim was as fully human as he.  There are lots of great satirical bits.  

I am glad I took the time to reread this book.  Any body seriously into the novel needs to read it, especially Americans.  I think it is or maybe once was much taught by American pedagogical professionals.  This is an all-American classic.  I am not sure how much of the reputation of this book comes from literary patriotism.



Mel u




No comments: