Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Sleep Donation by Karen Russell (2014, a novella, science fiction )




Prior to reading Karen Russell's science fiction novella Sleep Donation I read and posted on four of her short stories.  I liked them all very much.  I was a little disappointed in Sleep Donation, I did not enjoy it as much as the short stories but I am still glad I took the time (about 1.5 hours) to read it. 

It is about a future, not to distant, where many people have terrible insomnia,  when they do sleep they are unable to dream.  As this gets more and more wide spread, how this is done is never made, a method is found which allows those who can sleep to donate deep sleep to others.  The protagonist works for a nonprofit agency that connects those who can sleep with those who no longer can.  It all gets complicated and political.  I just found it hard to believe in the world of Sleep Donation.  I did not find characters of much interest.  

I read this solely because Karen Russell wrote it and that is what pushed me on to finish it.  It is not terrible and the description of the environmental corruption that might be at the root of the sleep is very good.  



No comments: